Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Show stop'n

North Bend, WA
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bellingham, WA
Over the weekend I headed due north for two races. The first one was at 8:00am… so I left home at 4:00am. I didn’t sleep that night just knowing that I’d have to wake up at 4 to drive to Bellingham. Whether I’ve slept or not doesn’t often faze me though. At the start line I took the chance to jest with the official over the necessity of an 8am start & the similarity of it to the days of old when I was mountain bike racing as a junior and the many unsettling 8:00am starts I endured back then. I thought it quite dense back then too, perhaps more so. Nevertheless, Criterium International took the chance to give the 8am start a go too, so perhaps it’s good preparation for what’s to come. Of course, the time did not faze me at all; in fact, it may have dulled the pain. After the race I extended the effort for 1.5 hours, making it a bit more realistic.

Sequim, WA
After the Bellingham race, it was a bit of a jaunt down through Whidbey Island to the Keystone ferry terminal, where I had the pleasant experience of watching the ferry from a distance as it departed across the sound. The ferries run every 1.5 hours, so I had a good chance to sit and ponder my existence amongst the various forms of beached driftwood along the shore.
The ferry ride from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend was 30 minutes, followed by a 45 minute drive over to Sequim. I stayed at the Great House Motel that night and slept until 10am the next morning.
The race started at 1pm & it was absolutely frigid. I have no idea why… But the wind was quite unrelenting and despite being in the “Olympic Rain Shadow” the rain began halfway through the race. The combination made for quite a pleasant experience. I was kind of banking on the two of them to not come simultaneously, the wind is supposed to blow away the clouds and rain… right? I guess not, evidently the wind brought the rain and clouds. So I did the race, changed and road for another 2.5 hours after the race. After all was said and done, I had done 5 hours and 55 minutes and a total of 5200 kjs…

Show Stop'n: I won the one in Bellingham by a minute, and the one in Sequim by 10 minutes…

That which follows are "photos" of Puget Sound & the Keystone Port Townsend ferry.