Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Silver City: Jan 18th

Team TIAA-CREF Training Camp
Silver City, NM
Jan 8th – Jan 22nd
Jan 18th

It's amazing to see that the racing season has already began around the world with the Tour Down Under (Australia)- a race that's rated the same as the Tour de France UCI 2.HC! Robbie McEwen, the guy who won the Green Jersey last year in the TDF, is there racing. That's a super early start, he'll be racing until September or October, crazy! But then again I too may be...

So, Silver City has taken a bit of a turn over the last couple days. Monday it was sunny n' nice, & Tuesday it was mid 20's and snowing... hmm I guess it's got something to do with the altitude. We did a ride in the morning and afternoon, it was freezing, & it reminded me why I live in Washington- I definately prefer the rain to the cold. I've heard of people growing webbed toes, & I've heard of eskimos, & I've gotta say that I'd prefer the webbed toes to the extra layer of blubber.

I guess life flies by when you sit on a bike and stare at the wheel in front of you for five hours, because its already been ten days since I left home. It seems like it's been two or three, but I guess that's life on two wheels... I leave from Albuerqurque on the 23rd, so my departure from the homeland swiftly approaches.