Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Conversing with the rain- March 9, 2006

Conversations with the mizzle- North Bend, WA
March 9, 2006

I hate to bore the petty soul who reads my ranting, but I felt obliged to put a recent conversation I had into words. You see, I was on my bike surrounded by some wet, cold rain that was on the verge of turning into snow, when I heard someone call my name. I looked around, and of course there’s no one around so I got to figuring that it must be the rain. Let’s get something straight right off though, I don’t frequently make or respond to open conversation with the rain. But sometimes the going gets tough and were both a bit bored. Anyway, we had a lot to discuss. Ya know, the rain wanted to know how long I’d been back for and how long I was staying. I let on that I just got here and figured I’d be around for a while. I asked what brought the rain & why it was sticking around lately. The rain said it came from the ocean, but got stuck here in the valley and figured it wouldn’t be able to continue its journey over the mountains until it lightens up a little. I took that to mean it was gonna be hanging around for a while doing what it does best. By then I was sick of talking to the rain and I told it that I hope the sun evaporates it. After that it seemed like the rain was a bit more intense.
In Washington it’s pretty gloomy in the winter… it rains and stays dark, perfect environment for a nice chat with the mizzle.