Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Friday, July 14, 2006

Doubl'n up

Champion, PN- Seven Springs Resort
Friday, July 14, 2006

What can I say…? Craig won the criterium too! So that’s two. The race started and a group of seven or so went up the road with three of our guys in it; Craig, Troy and Blake. They just about lapped the field so they pulled us with 7 laps to go. Craig attacked with one to go and soloed in nursing a ~10 second gap over the rest of ‘em.
We’re departing at 12:00 for the airport so I went out for 2 hours this morning. It was actually a pretty sweet end to the weekend. There was an old-world fog that’d settled over the countryside in the morning. It reminded me of how it must’ve been back in the day during the civil war. That’s as close as I got to anything of “cultural significance” during the trip though. No museum musing or anything of the such, just ride, rest & race- which is just fine since I’m not in the whole walk around and reflect on tragic memorabilia from the past phase. I don’t know about those who do that, would you really fly 4 hours just to go and check out some ancient artifact? Anyway, after a few lay-overs and a 6:15pm departure I’ll get home at 12:30. That’ll be swell.

Champion, PN- Seven Springs Resort
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Yesterday turned out pretty much how I’d assumed it would. The rain came and the course looked pretty slick. Half the race was just about going into the turns quick so with the rain I didn’t have the nerve and couldn’t hold my speed coming into the little climbs. I wasn’t about to test the corners out, so I didn’t come into any of the turns hot, I kept the bike pretty much straight up, did the breaking early and stayed out of the aero bars. I’m sure that this shattered my time, but the rest of the race I went all out. I felt super good throughout the ride, and got into a good rhythm, so I was pretty stoked by the end of the race. The position felt perfect on the bike, even though I haven’t rode it since Georgia. My legs did start to fall asleep though. On the way out they began to tense up towards the top of my thighs. I fought it fairly good though and managed to keep ‘em from getting too sleepy by the end of the race.
Today’s gonna be the criterium. It’s not until 6:00 though, so I did a couple hours on the trainer this morning. Yeah, the trainer… The rain hasn’t stopped since yesterday, so I set up the trainer and the tent and did the 2 hours & listened as the rain pummeled the tent. It feels much better when you set the trainer up and it actually rains, ‘cause a lot of times you set it up thinking it’s gonna rain and it doesn’t, & you’re stuck riding the trainer and listening to the birds chirp… or whatever. But, yeah, with the rain out in force the criterium should be interesting, I’m much more confident with my wet criterium skills than with the wet tt skills. I think lapping the field during a wet crit won’t be out of the question…