Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Come 'n go

Girona, ESP
Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It seems like I’ve just returned to Girona… nonetheless as soon as I’m all ready to get my stuff unpacked were getting it ready again… I guess that’s racing though. You’ve always gotta be on your toes, ready to attack- or get off the couch ‘n go…
Anyway, today was a nice easy little spin. It was kinda cloudy ‘n rainy this morning so I opted to do the 1.5 hours on the trainer instead. In the morning after the 3rd cup of coffee I decided to stroll down to the store to pick up some food supplies. There’d been a light sprinkling on the cobbles so there was plenty of loose water on the ground. For the first time I realized that I needed to replace my sandals; turns out that the sole is cracking underneath allowing for aqua to slip in and emit a squeaking noise upon impact… I’m not sure if I’m down with replacing them though, ‘cause I reckon that the quality of this here Spanish clothing could be over rated, and I’m not especially eager to lay down my good euro for the Spanish brand name… or whatever the reason is that it’s expensive. I’ll probably just end up donning the Reeboks in the rain for the rest of the trip. Sandals are kaput come mid September anyway.
I’ve gotta note that yesterday they were partying in the streets… At first I thought it was in respect to 9/11, but then I saw all the flags and realized it was like Catalan day or something. Ya know- “we’re not France and we’re not Spain… free the people of Catalunya!” Good stuff huh!, I was tempted to roll down the US flag over our balcony… there’d of been mass riots and murder though, not even Steve’s “guns” could hold off the team of hooligans that’d have come…