Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Barcelona 'n back

Gerona, ESP
Thursday, October 04, 2006

I took the train over to Barcelona this morning and a taxi up to the embassy. It was a bit busier than before but before I could sit down they called me to the front.?! I guess they had it ready from yesterday; nevertheless I was pleased to receive quick US service in Europe...
Since I was only in there for 5 minutes (the security is harsh... there are three checkpoints on the way in and every door has a guard house beside it with a dude inside who decides whether or not to unlock the door upon your arrival), I chose to check the town out. I got another taxi and told him to go to the "ramblas-" the walker only roads where all the shops 'n stuff are. It was pretty lame until I got to the harbor where the beaches are. They're perfect beaches, except the waves are kinda pathetic. I wandered around some more and noticed this castle on top of this mountain/rock thing off to the side of the city, so I decided to go ahead and hike up it. On top it was pretty cool, you could see the whole city, the harbor and the shore as it stretched down the coast. I'd seen enough though so I hiked down and caught a taxi back to the train station and caught the "Catalonia express" back to Gerona... with the new passport in hand.
Now I'm just sitting here drinking my 5th espresso of the day... it's still early, only 9 pm...
I'm still not sure when I fly, Johnny just called though and said I might fly out tomorrow evening.