Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Liv'n it up, not giv'n a...

Silver city, NM
4.28.08

It’s bizarre how such a small, obscure town could command my presence on so many occasions. It’s some 150 miles from the closest airport (elPaso, Texas) and hosts a bike race that, over the years, has managed to push itself into the upper echelon of bike races in the US... though it remains fairly low on the short list of big events. Regardless, Silver city brings back some timeless memories of the past, and always garners a visit when the moment presents itself.
The team isn't actually going to be taking this one on, so I'm going italone so to speak- something of a pro-bono pursuit if you will. I always cherish the occasion that allows me to return to silver city though, and this is a perfect opportunity... Just to reiterate what you already know. Perhaps it’s something to do with the wind-swept environment, or the remoteness of the place. Or maybe it’s the respect I have for the working man, the blue collar life and a good honest day on the job. Or maybe it’s a combination of everything, but regardless of what happens life slows down and everyone takes a moment to relax. Anyway, with resort vibes aside, I'm here to race, and if my credit score let's me rent a car I’ll be the first one on the line and the first one up the hill at the end of the first stage. I’ll also be the first one to carry two liters of water on my bike in the 21st century, they zoned that out several years ago with the invention of the feed zone, but as I am without such trivial conveniences in the middle of the desert at altitude, I rinsed out my grandfathers old bottles and installed them on my bike. Simple fixes to the most complex problems... Amazing how the team staff is able to solve these sort of problems without me around. Really- I don't know how they do get by. But, here I am... Back in black, flying over the Rockies for a short jaunt in Denver before I board the Texan pride in route to el Paso and rent some wheels for the trip to silver city. It should be fun, but above all else answer the question that I've been asking myself repeatedly for the last month n a half "should they let Levi ride or not???”... Wait wrong question, "is it over, or will the vendettas be rectified?"