Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Silver City: Jan 19th

Team TIAA-CREF Training Camp
Silver City, NM
Jan 8th – Jan 22nd
Jan 19th

Today was a rest day, I rode for an hour and a half, but most of the guys are pretty shot, so only a few of us went out. It was a windy one today, but the nice thing about the wind is that it only blows one direction. So when I rode out today, it was blowing in my face, but on the way back it was to my posterior side allowing me to go fast with ease- not that I don’t always do that, but...
On an easy day you’ve got a lot of free time, with that said, it kind of gets you to thinking. I started contemplating Silver City & what makes it tick. I mean, the place is an absolute bore, there is nothing good and nothing bad about it, the people seem to be a bunch of zombies- to put it lightly. I thought deeply on the subject and came to the conclusion that the area has a lot going for it as far as the region, culture, climate etc., but there just isn’t much there as far as entrepreneurs & educated people. Its dominated by the miners (who work at the giant copper mine outside of town), the red necks (those who work on el rancho Silverado), and the “first persons” (Mexicans… enough said). So the combined intellect of the people is relatively low, and the Mexicans love it because, well, the “love of drink & a lazy life…” no?
-BREAKING NEWS-
This just in, Ben the manager just knocked, the much anticipated Cycle Ops power tap on special order for me just came in. I can hopefully figure out how to use it ‘n stuff before the ride tomorrow (which is scheduled to be 3 hrs easy, I’m thinking I might go a little longer and harder though). By the way- these power taps retail for ~$1000!, As much as a new bike…