Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Watch your back...

North Bend, WA
Thursday, April 06, 2006

A memo on spiders came across my desk today. It was on the “dangerous Brown Recluse,” the deadliest spider in North America. Let’s get something clear right off, I’m not a big fan of spiders, so I prefer to know as little as possible about the eight legged creature crawling amongst my covers. The memo stated that the spiders are going to be on the loose come late spring and summer, so watch out when you’re entering dark unfrequented areas… they could be crouching, ready to spring into action as your hand approaches. One of the best ways to avoid mingling amongst these angry, very aggressive, creatures is to turn a light on in the area you are entering thirty minutes prior to your entry. If you don’t have a light you can just throw a grenade in or something… but they’re wily so watch out, they may launch a counter attack. Here’s something interesting though, I ride my bike everyday, and at least once a week I find spider webs on my handle bars. So during the 24 hours between my rides a hairy, eight legged creature crawls silently on my bars spewing its web. I resolve to eliminate every spider I see from here on out.