Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bichot to Agritubel

North Bend, WA
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

So the rain stops for 2 days, just in time for my predawn commute. This morning it was an absolute downpour. I don’t get it. But I was riding along and I began to think how nice it was to be riding in the rain in the morning. Honestly, what could you be doing that is better than riding amongst little drops of swiftly moving rain? I couldn’t think of anything off hand, so I went into a little yoga like trance while riding my bike in a downpour. It was like riding on an endless boat launch while waves completely immersed you in freezing cold water. The trick is to focus on the soothing sound of the waves rather than the bone wrenching combination of wind and water.
On another note…
I read in the news that my idle, Freddy Bichot, signed with Agritubel for 2007. He was previously racing for Cofidis. Freddy’s a great cyclist and an all around good guy. If there were just more people like him about, the world would be a better place… Actually I’ve never met him; he’s just got a cool name. I think Bichot is pronounced bishoh, but I’m not entirely certain. Anyway, Bichot’s just a groovy guy who lives a life that should be an example to all…