Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Monday, November 13, 2006

Tacking on two wheels

North Bend, WA
Monday, November 13, 2006

I had this great idea yesterday… go on a ride with the UW cycling team… bad idea. Turned out that they were riding for an hour and a half, I wanted to at least do three and a half hours. So I drove all the way to Bellevue just to ride by myself in the rain. It wasn’t so bad, but it certainly felt like a bit of a waste. I got to ride on some of the good old routes that I used to do when I was riding after college, but other than that there wasn’t much to be said for the drive. Of course, from North Bend it’s only a ~30 minute drive to Bellevue, but it’s 30 minutes longer than I want to drive to ride “with” myself. I did enjoy a few gusts of wind on the way back into Issaquah though; its fun when you suddenly hit a gust and you can’t get into a gear big enough to have a normal cadence. I love the wind when it’s not in my face, when it is, I’d probably rather be riding on the trainer in the rain…
Anyway, I drove to the Bellevue park and ride where I disembarked and continued via bike to the husky in front of the UW. Then I met up with the “dawgs” and began the south end loop going through Seward Park first. At the May Valley turn off I left the UW guys and rode around May Valley, over Cougar Mountain, through New Castle, and across Mercer Island to the I-90 bridge where I turned around and went back to the car. The ride ended up being about 3 hours and fifty minutes.