Life On Two Wheels

Along the river and toward the mountains a morning shadow shimmers across the road. The rays of the first light jet through the trees and across a figure gliding upon the road. His breath trails in short spurts, petrified as it hits the icy air. All is quiet except the slight sound of the athlete as he summons himself for yet another days work. Soon the rest of the world will bustle with life as well and the brief simplicity of cyclist and nature will disappear into the everyday struggle of life in full motion; the errands and intervals, the appointments and intersections, and the deadlines and finish lines OutPaceTheRace

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Engaging the network

North Bend, WA
Saturday, November 04, 2006

Training’s back in full swing now… so’s the rain. I think the rain’s goin a little harder than I am though. I try to keep up but it’s hard, the rain goes all day ‘n all night. It’s like it doesn’t need to recover or anything, as soon as you think it’s given everything it becomes something of a hurricane.
At the moment I’ve begun to ride a bit more, doing the gym workout three times a week with the commute to the gym (~3.5-4 hrs total) and the road stuff for 3.5 hours twice a week (of course, since it’s eternally wet outside, I’ve spent a bit of time indoors mad-dogg’n the wall while riding my trainer). That leaves two days to rest up and do a bit more recovery.
So what do I do with the downtime? Lately I’ve been spending most of it installing this arse of a wifi network in the house. This actually marks my third attempt at installing the piece of garbage. I’ve discovered that Best Buy has a good return policy. I buy it, and if I can’t get it to work I take it back. I’ve done that twice up until now. I finally got it to work, I’ve gotta admit that I spent somewhere in the range of 4 hours plugging cables in and listening to some dude from India try to figure out what the problem is. In the past they’ve gotten frustrated after the third hour and just told me to take the “flawed” equipment back… So two in every three wifi devices are defective… My advice, buy three and return the two that don’t work… and buy them from Best Buy. Yoga really helps with wifi installation too. I would recommend it to anyone who works in the industry. Try the part where you utter “ooooooommmmmm…” should be quite relaxing if you can endure the pain involved with crossing your legs. Anyway, if you’re ever in the area look for the encrypted “Outpacetherace” network. If you can guess the password I’ll give you a free Yoga lesson.